Prophet Muhammad صلى الله عليه وسلم said,
“This black seed is a cure for every disease except death.” (Bukhari).
It was also mentioned in the Bible as the curative ‘black seed’.
Archeological studies report that black cumin seeds have been found in several sites from ancient Egypt, including in the tomb of Egyptian Pharaoh, Tutankhamun.
Did you know that this powerful seed was also used by the Asians, the Persians, and the Romans for culinary and medicinal purposes.
Black Seeds are famous for their healing properties. They contain things like:
- linoleic acid (an essential fatty acid) and palmitic acid (most commonly found in palm oil and butter)
- amino acids, arginine (great for circulation and oxygen to our cells)
- aspartate, and glutamate.
- iron, copper, zinc, phosphorus, thiamin, niacin, pyridoxine, folic acid, and calcium
First and foremost, honey is mentioned in the Quran:
“There emerges from their bellies a drink, varying in colors, in which there is healing for mankind. Indeed in that is a sign for a people who give thought.” Surah Nahl
Prophet Muhammad saws also stated:
“Make use of the two cures: Honey and the Quran” (Sunan Ibn Majah)
Prophet Solomon was reported to have said:
“My son, eat honey, for it is good, and the drippings of the honeycomb are sweet to your taste.” – Proverbs 24:13
In Traditional Chinese Medicine, honey (Feng Mi) has a balanced character – containing neither ‘yin’ nor ‘yang’ – and is therefore important in restoring or maintaining your ‘vital energy’ or Qi.
There is no doubt honey is one of the most versatile superfoods known to mankind. Used for millennia to treat various ailments, this delicious food is still being studied extensively for its medicinal capabilities. Honey includes things like:
- Vitamins – B1, B2, C, B6, B5 and B3, niacin, riboflavin and pantothenic acid.
- Minerals – calcium, copper, iron, magnesium, manganese, phosphorus, potassium and zinc
- Amino Acids
- Antioxidants – Pinocembrin, pinobaxin, chrisin and galagin
- Flavonoids and
- Phenolic acids
HONEY AND BLACK SEEDS COMBINED
On their own, both superfoods provide unique compounds for natural healing. When combined, this mixture is an antioxidant powerhouse! Combine these 2 ingredients together and you have yourself one of the best natural remedies available.
- Antioxidants which may protect against several types of chronic conditions, including cancer, diabetes, heart disease and obesity
- Detoxes the body and boosts immunity
- Kills off bacteria such as MRSA and other strains of bacteria that is difficult to treat and resistant to antibiotics
- May alleviate inflammation and protect the body against injury and infection
- Could help protect the liver and kidney against injury and damage
- Can aid in blood sugar regulation
- May preserve the lining of the stomach and prevent the formation of ulcers
WAYS TO ENJOY HONEY AND BLACK SEEDS
- Sprinkle a pinch of black seeds to your spoon of sidr honey and enjoy as is.
- Drizzle a spoon of sidr honey to your morning yoghurt and granola bowl and sprinkle some black seeds ontop.
- Add both ingredients to your favourite smoothie.
- Make a pot of black seed tea, add a spoon of sidr honey to your cup once warm.
- Spread avocado on your toast, drizzle a spoon of sidr all over, then sprinkle a pinch of black seeds ontop and enjoy.
- Cut up your favourite fruit, drizzle a spoon of sidr honey all over then sprinkle a pinch of black seeds ontop.